News in NetPhantom 3.6
These are news implemented in NetPhantom 3.60 Build 1200.
For details of a build version before version 3.6, follow this link.
News in NetPhantom 3.5
- RAPP - the Remote Application API.
This new API allows a "new type of client" (previously
Java and HTML clients) -- the Remote Application.
Using this Java API, Remote Applications can interact with a NetPhantom Application and
the host session to perform advanced transactions that includes both data retrieval and
updating information in the host.
Typical usage: Java Servlets, JSP (Java Server Pages), JMS (Java Message Service) and
EJB (Enterprise Java Beans).
The following features are included:
- Support for pure socket and SSL connection to NetPhantom Server.
- Backup server and load balancing support.
- Remote user authentication support.
- Administration of applications, security, etc, from the Server Administration program.
- Sample as Java Application is included.
- Reduced server-to-client transactions by 20 to 40% by added
support for caching of strings between server and client. The size of the cache
and minimum and maximum string sizes are configurable using the Server Administration
program. The data traffic from the server to the client is reduced by at least 20% (and
sometimes much closer to 40%). This is typical when a user works in a limited set of panels.
Note that this requires more memory for the client, but can result in a much higher memory
usage on the server side as the cache size is multiplied with the number of concurrent users.
- Performance enhancement: the server now allows multiple threads to accept incoming socket
connection (plain socket communication or using SSL). This enhancement is typically used for heavy
server load when many clients want to connect at the same time. The Server Administration program also
provides an interface to configure it.
- New web browser installation program for NetPhantom full installation and the NetPhantom
Starter installations. Support for browsers Netscape 4.x and better (including 6.x, 7.x),
Microsoft Internet Explorer 4 and better. The Sun Java2 plug-in is also supported.
- Support for the Mouse Wheel for the NetPhantom Client application and applet running
under Microsoft Java VM (inside Internet Explorer or standalone using JView). Previous
support for the Mouse Wheel was implemented for JDK 1.4. This support is now added for
spin button, combo box, list box, multiple line entry field, sub window and all panels
that get scroll bars.
- New options for HTML Web Application:
These options can be set from the Server Administration program.
- Option to Reuse previous session for the same client session. All global variables from the
previous session are transferred to the new session (except session-specific variables).
- Option to Restart previous session for the same client session. The Application Object receives
the START object message and must return "1" to keep the session alive. Other values causes the same
functionality as the "Reuse previous session" option.
- New API setting for Send Mail in REXX gives the ability to specify the mail host that previously
had to be set on the Java command line as "-Dmail.host=mailserver.com".
- Enhanced host pop-up window recognition, allowing a more relaxed identification of the
pop-up windows. This feature is oriented to 3270 environments where the operating system
does not provide "native" support for pop-up windows (as opposed to 5250). This feature
is not selectable, it is always used.
Note: This feature has been added to Phantom Hurricane 3.49d.
- Support for defining the default ISO font, thus enabling support for web documents
(in HTML or XML) using e.g. the Greek character set. This support only applies to data
input from the user to the server in e.g. HTML forms or HTML applications.
The setting is called "codePageISO" in the [base] section of "server.ini".
Configuration using Server Administration program is also available.
- Support for defining the default Ansi font, thus enabling support for EE applications
using e.g. the Greek character set. The setting is called "codePageAnsi" in the [base]
section of "server.ini". Configuration using Server Administration program is also available.
- All EEM and corresponding EE files are now shared for all client connections (when EE host sessions
are defined), resulting is faster client connections and smaller memory requirements.
- Option to always use a bold font for the terminal emulator window on the client side.
This can make the screens more readable.
- Option to disable host alarm when GUI panels are visible.
- Option to turn on/off highlighting of the current notebook tab under Windows look-and-feel
(actually the highlighting makes the non-current tabs darker).
- New sample "Ticket Proof of Concept" showing an external
CRM Microsoft Internet Information Server system becoming seamlessly integrated with
an AS/400 application using NetPhantom HTML Integration by using HTML frames.
- Support for data input using Unicode (UTF-8) in any HTML form in a NetPhantom HTML application.
A new sample to demonstrate this has been added.
- New certificate from VeriSign used to sign the JAR files.
- New option to set the Host Codepage for each host session ID. To set the codepage for a host session
before the terminal type:
specify e.g. "*HCP:Cp278" for Swedish, i.e. the "server.ini" line for this host session ID would be:
"U=3270 your.mainframe.com 23 *HCP:Cp278,3279-2". Possible codepages (case sensitive names) are:
Portugal/Brazil/Australia + Euro
Cp1046 Open Edition US EBCDIC
Cp1141 Austria/Germany + Euro
Cp1142 Denmark/Norway + Euro
Cp1143 Finland/Sweden + Euro
Cp1144 Italy + Euro
Cp284 Spain/Catalan/Latin America (Spanish)
Cp1145 Spain/Catalan/Latin America (Spanish)
Cp285 United Kingdom/Ireland
Cp1146 United Kingdom/Ireland + Euro
Cp1147 France + Euro
Cp500 EBCDIC 500V1 (Belgium/Canada/Switzerland)
Cp1148 EBCDIC 500V1 (Belgium/Canada/Switzerland)
Cp838 Thailand extended SBCS
Cp869 Modern Greek
Cp870 Multilingual Latin-2 (Serbia)
Cp1149 Iceland + Euro
Cp875 Greek (New)
Cp918 Pakistan (Urdu)
Cp1025 Multilingual Cyrillic (Bulgaria/Bosnia/
Cp1026 Latin-5 (Turkey)
News in NetPhantom 3.1
News in NetPhantom 3.0
News in NetPhantom 2.1
News in NetPhantom 2.0